Monday, February 22, 2010

HELP FUND A CURE

So if you have read my story below you have a good idea on how hard the last 4 years have been on me and my closest family and friends. I finished my intense chemotherapy treatment on 1st Septemeber 2009, I had a PET-CT just before christmas which showed something. Since then i have undergone a number of biopsies to only confirm the worst outcome- persistent cancer which has started playing up as soon as the chemo stopped. Now this is where people need to understand why ovarian cancer is such a deadly disease. currently the treatment available is unsatisfactory and not as researched or funded as other cancers. So basically if you reoccur especially within 6 months "the doctors" assume that your disease is going to keep doing this i.e- you will need to remain on chemo for the rest of your "short" life. As you can understand being just 26 this is clearly not an option and not something i am going to settle for. My nutritionist who is an amazing doctor told me there is always "hope!" I honestly believe that.. .there is always hope. I get that oncologists have to be negative its their job but thats where i say right back to them its my job to remain hopeful and positive because at the end of the day. . .they are just like me. . human! they do not have god like abilities and they do not know anything for certain. If history predicts anything I clearly know my body better than any doctor or test can offer! So here we are.. . I have a friend being treated at a clinic in America for ovarian cancer who offers patients like us the chance for a curative approach rather than pallitative. It uses drugs approved by the FDA however they have not been approved specifically for ovarian cancer. Avastin at the moment is an exciting drug however is only approved for bowel cancer patients yet the bowel is often the first organ that ovarian cancer attacks. This drug costs $2,500 every 3 weeks and often women have to stay on it for years. With the addition of other drugs ths clinic costs around $15,000 a MONTH! So with the help of others, my friends are rallying together to fundraise money towards my cure and treatment! While also raising awareness about ovarian cancer- please know a pap smear does NOT detect ovarian cancer! it only detects cervical cancer.

1 comment:

  1. Mel..
    Christina (onthemendmomma)from the Medhelp board. Although I've mostly abandoned the board I am so glad I stopped by today and found this link.Like you, my symptoms were persistant and presented early. It is hard NOT to think about what a different situation I would be in had my doctors listened to me.More and more I am convinced OVCA is not the "Silent Killer" it is the "Ignored Killer"

    In the states we have a program called Survivors teaching Students where OVCA survivors speak to medstudents.I live and recieve treatment near a huge teaching hospital complex that does not participate. I wrote to the organization yesterday to find out how to start the program up where I am.

    Advocacy and Hope IS our only way...we have to
    WIN...I will find you on facebook as well so we can be in touch.

    STRENGTH AND HEALTH
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter